Saturday 21 April 2012

National Gallery... Titian's, Diana and Callisto Exhibition

Being from an Italian descent, and obviously having a natural passion for my culture, Italian Genius Painter Titian was a must see event! I have always been intrigued by old Myths, i guess i interpret this as the closest thing to real fairy tales.. I was particularly interested in looking, more in depth to the extraordinary painter Titian. The famous painting 'Diana and Callisto' was produced for the Spanish King Philip II, supposedly when Titian was in his 70's, i found this the most inspiring part of the journey behind Titain's masterpiece. Immense amount of the finest detail, calls out for the viewers attention. Even though the paining is a beautifully, demonstrated illustration, reading the whole myth behind it, in my opinion was one of the best and definitely my favorite aspects of the exhibition. There were many different lessons to learn from the myth, behind Titian's wonderful artwork,  was a story about betrayal, lies, deceit, humiliation and unjustified banishment. When looking at the piece 'Diana and Callisto' i was really able to engage in the fact that Titian was highlighting the young 'virgin goddess of the hunt' vulnerability and humiliation at the time she was subject and ordered to stripping to have a bath, by bystanders with a sneaky suspicion she was hiding something. To their great surprise, indeed she was. I recommend it as a must to actually find the story and read up, in more detail about it. I found it truly fascinating, however we are all individuals and the wonderful thing about life, is being open to many wide spread options. :) Very inspiring, and in my opinion a wonderful man who still strived with great artistic power in the very later stages of his life. Truly admirable and a great Artistic role model. I hope in the near future, i can extend my passion and interest for Titian's painting, by showing how inspired i was and creating my own contemporary interpretation of this mythical piece of Art. 






No comments:

Post a Comment